Posted: 2:23 pm Sunday, April 6th, 2014

Fox Sports, Dish TV in second year of dispute impacting 51 weekend Braves games this year

By Rodney Ho

Julio Teheran singled during the Braves/Nationals game April 5 that was not available to Dish TV subscribers. CREDIT: AP

Dish TV and Fox Sports regional networks are now in the second year of a dispute over payment for weekend Atlanta Braves games. Fox says 51 games are impacted.

Dish TV subscribers this weekend already missed Saturday’s game against the Washington Nationals and will miss today’s game as well. Dish has said Fox is asking too much for the games.

FSS added 45 Braves games for the 2013 season in February last year from Peachtree TV and is now the exclusive local provider of about 150 Braves games. The arrangement is similar in 2014. (Other games are set aside for ESPN, Fox national, TBS and MLB Network.) The games air on either Fox Sports South or SportsSouth.

Dish subscribers can still see about 100 Braves during the week.

This dispute has no impact on subscribers of AT&T U-Verse, Charter, DIRECTV and XFINITY.

Here’s the schedule of games that have been or are impacted:

Day DATE VS/AT OPPONENT TIME (ET) NETWORK

• Sat 9/27 @ Philadelphia Phillies 7:00 PM FSSO

• Sun 9/28 @ Philadelphia Phillies 1:30 PM FSSO

All Times Eastern Schedule and Channel Locations Subject to Change

SOURCE: Fox Sports

Edisto2
Edisto2

Dish needs to get this taken care of.  Looks like if you have Dish Network OUTSIDE of the Metro Atlanta area that the games are being broadcast on the weekends.  This is definitely NOT right! Metro ATL is taking up more and more of N GA, that is a lot of customers.  Right now a lot of unhappy Braves Fans too! The local cable company and ATT not to mention Direct TV are constantly contacting me.......  Make it right you guys!

Hammer52
Hammer52

We will be moving back to DIRECTV as soon as our DISH contract is up.  Had no idea when we switched to DISH that we'd lose all these games.   We guess if enough Braves fans leave them, they'll figure it out.  Til then, we'll make 50 more phone calls to complain - one for each game we miss.

Gabriel_ATL
Gabriel_ATL

According to Dish, other pay services charge a surcharge on the package to watch those games.  I don't see where that is the case.  Can anyone on Comcast, UVerse, etc. respond?  I appreciate them fighting the content providers to keep prices low.  Last year it was random games, but this year Fox has scheduled it to make sure it is all weekend games.

JonTanV
JonTanV

I am fed up with Dish we also gave them a year to come to agreement and it didn't happen. I cant believe they think people are just going to put up with these disputes over surcharges. I have already contacted Direct and scheduled the switch for Wednesday. Last year we had a competitor offer to pay to get us out of our contract with Dish and we declined assuming Dish would do the right thing and work out an agreement. I believe FarTrain either works for or has stock in Dish because there is no acceptable excuse for leaving your customers hanging!!!!!

stevedec
stevedec

So I complained and they offered me a $15 per month credit for 10 months for the "inconvenience".  Doesn't make business sense - $15 per month would pay the extra charge for me and a lot of other customers.  They're just being petty, especially after raising my rate $10 a month last year.

Da_Mick
Da_Mick

Which line of propaganda to believe........hmmmmm.  Comes a point where it doesn't really matter who's telling the truth, as a blackout of another season of weekend games just doesn't cut it on dish.  Seems like things should have been worked out by now, one way or another.  Obviously, the head of dish, doesn't care about these games himself, or it would be another matter.  i realize that other providers have, and do, continue to go through these programming struggles, but dish has gotten into some long term disputes with AMC, IFC, etc, in the past, and we lost whole seasons of original programming.  As if that weren't bad enough, despite what they tell the public as an excuse, there are STILL increases in dish programming costs.

Bottom line is this, it's gone on too long.  If they haven't settled it by now, what will change at this point to make either side give in?

I really don't want to leave dish, and hung in there with them all of last year, but they're not leaving me much choice at this point.

Baseball games on the weekend are kind of a big deal Dish -- duh.

ChessMaster
ChessMaster

All the providers are seeing a flat or even declining subscriber rate as people move to streaming. The common statement is that the rates of gone too high and the shows eventually become available on NetFlix, etc. The two approaches are to be willing to pay more for live events (sports mostly) and raise rates to the customers or keep prices down and drop many of the live events. DIsh has made their choice.

Dish dumps Braves fans
Dish dumps Braves fans

Well, far train, Im afraid this supposed "bluff" is now in year two, so I guess it hasn't worked. And you are certainly entitled to be happy with DISH. However, others such as I like sports programming and I'm willing to pay for it. You are obviously happy without the Braves and other sports programming, and perhaps you are satisfied with offerings like BRAVO and the cooking channel. However, I am not. I would rather pay for a rate increase if necessary to see that programming I wish to enjoy rather than have DISH and/or other consumers who want to limit choice  solely to keep prices down affect those programs I would like to see.

FarTrain

People are too quick to blame either DishTV or DirecTV on these deals like this.  Nine times out of ten it's the networks or stations who are trying to hold the satellite companies "hostage" by demanding more money. That, eventually, is then passed on to the consumer, YOU and ME !  I live in an area that had to do without a local station for a month and a half because the media company that owns the local station was demanding 4 times the rate they had been getting, and much more than what the other local station rates were. Thank goodness, DishTV called their "bluff" and they finally settled for a very small increase.  Our rates would have jumped up quite a bit if they had gotten what they originally asked for.  So, it's not usually the satellite companies fault.  The greedy media companies want you to think that it's always DishTV or DirecTV's fault.

Squirrel_Whisperer
Squirrel_Whisperer

We got tired of Dish's attitude about the Braves and switched to DirectTV. No regrets.

Dish dumps Braves fans
Dish dumps Braves fans

I would think that Braves fans ( and for that matter fans of the other major sports) would show as much consideration for DISH as Dish has shown to customers who would like the choice to watch the Braves (or for that matter MLB extra innings, NFL season ticket, etc. ) This attitude by DISH has now continued for years and appears to continue unabated. Therefore the most direct and purposeful response is simply to switch providers. I suppose DISH will continue to be fine to watch BRAVO or the cooking  channel, but again, DISH is the ONLY local provider who refuses to pay the fee to broadcast Braves games. And that is their choice, but it should be the fans choice to leave them. If enough fans do, it will have a deserved economic impact on them. I;ve been with DISH over ten years, but my TV dollars will happily go elsewhere..

PhillipHumphrey
PhillipHumphrey

I use Dish TV and watched yesterdays' and today's' game

RafeHollister
RafeHollister

Why was no warning provided before we got this far again.

I was shocked yesterday to find out I couldn't see the game, I thought all that was resolved when last year was over.  Well, I rode it out last year to support Dish, but now think Dish is ripping me off.  I'm paying the same as all the other providers and they have the games and I don't.  Tired of punishing myself to support DISH.  I have already made the steps to move to Direct TV.  Seems Dish is saving pennies and will lose dollars.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice and I move to Direct TV.

DavidHoffman
DavidHoffman

Good going Dish Network. Hopefully the Dish Network subscribers have the toughness to stay put and not switch to another pay TV provider.  The only way pay TV subscribers are going to see smaller annual increases, is if they are willing to stand up to the content providers and producers when they demand double and triple digit percentage annual increases in per subscriber charges.

FarTrain

@JonTanV    I DO NOT now nor ever have worked for DishTV, nor know anyone who works there. Was with Direct for about 10 yrs. before switching to Dish, over a silly little thing they would not do.The apt. complex  I am in all of a sudden decided our dishes had to be taken off metal poles and put low to the ground on ground racks secured by concrete blocks. DTV would not come out and do that, and said I would have to contact a local dealer who would charge $100 to do it. I was a long time loyal customer and they still wouldn't do it after talking to everybody and his brother there.  So I switched to Dish and they did it right for free.  Even got a special deal by adding my internet service to it.  Now, (it's so funny) the send me letters weekly offering me $200 to cancel Dish and switch back.  It would have only cost them $100 in the first place!  Stupidity abounds !

FarTrain

@Dish dumps Braves fans    Sorry to disappoint you, and rebuff your argument, but I have Dish and get ALL the Braves games.  I am just not in the Atlanta area, which sounds to me like somebody is trying to "rip off" Dish just to get them on there.  As I said, it's usually "greedy media companies".  BTW, rates would go up for everyone, and not just you. Perhaps you can afford it while most cannot, which is very selfish of you.

stevedec
stevedec

@FarTrain  But all the other providers have agreed to presumably the same terms as are being offered to DISH.

Gabriel_ATL
Gabriel_ATL

@Squirrel_Whisperer   Is there an additional regional sports fee on DirecTV?  Dish customer service claims that there is a $3 fee in metro Atlanta.

RodneyHo
RodneyHo moderator

@PhillipHumphrey This only covers metro Atlanta - or you fell through the cracks somehow...

FarTrain

@RafeHollister  DirecTV can turn around and do the exact same thing to you, so don't be surprised. I dumped DTV last year due to a similar matter, and was concerned I would not like Dish as well.  I could not be happier, have the same thing I had, and am paying less, since I now have my internet through satellite with them also. It's fast, and  works great!

FarTrain

@DavidHoffman  You are 100% correct DH, but most of these people have their heads in the sand, and are naive and gullible as to what is really going on.  When it's settled and they get a big rate increase, then they will be griping and wondering why?  Direct and Dish are only looking out for their customers, and trying to avoid price hikes.

FarTrain

@JonTanV   BTW,  as I said before,  you are "barking up the wrong tree".  Your beef should be with the media owners (this case, I guess FoxSportsSouth) for holding DishTV, and even DirecTV when contract time rolls around, over the proverbial barrel. They only pass these increases on to their customers if granted.  They are trying to keep rates down FOR EVERYBODY !

FarTrain

@stevedec @FarTrain    AND it will eventually be passed on to ALL THEIR CUSTOMERS, whether they receive Braves games or not.  They all have a certain profit margin they have to maintain to stay in business.

BannedPoster
BannedPoster

@FarTrain @RafeHollisterBeen with DirecTV for 14 out of the last 15 years.  The one year was a year in which we lived at an apartment complex that would not allow DirecTV.  A year with Dish was more than enough to tell me never to trust them again.  You might be happy, but there is a reason they bleed subscribers.

JonTanV
JonTanV

@FarTrain @JonTanV

I am not trying to argue with you, I just don't agree with your opinion. I don't think I am barking up the wrong tree, I am a customer of Dish (well not anymore) and they get my money. If I sign a contract to receive certain channels then it is the responsibility of that company to make sure I get what I signed up for..... I paid more to Dish by 30 dollars a month and didn't receive over 40 of the braves games last year. I am getting all of them with Direct for much less money. If you think for one second that Dish, Direct and every other company has not already found excuses to raise rates then think again... My point is I paid Dish for a service and it is their job to give me what I signed up for, if they don't then they loose customers.. So I guess they decide where they loose more money, in agreeing to pay surcharge and keep those customers or loose those customers......